Friday, October 21, 2016

On Election Day Think Like an Uber Driver, Help Your Contacts with Disabilities Get to the Polls

I moved to Waikiki in August of this year. I am now the Director of the Center on Disability Studies at the University of Hawaii, Manoa. It is a very rewarding job. I get to interact with people who do all sorts of things to help the people of Hawaii lead fuller lives and achieve their potential in paradise -- individuals with disabilities of all ages, Native Hawaiian children, parents, and leaders in state agencies.

Another amazing thing that has happened to me is that I met an Uber driver, who has become my friend. He can collapse and open my electric scooter and put it in and out of his trunk with lightening speed. He did it on my first ride. He is always available and always on time. We talk about everything, including how to solve the world's problems. He has made transportation a non-problem (Is there such a word?) for me.

Transportation is a big deal, especially when you need it and don't have it. Election Day is November 8th. It is a holiday. Everyone who reads this post and has a car consider giving someone with a disability, perhaps more than one person, a ride to the polls. Also, consider helping them with the voting process if they need it. Workers at the polls have become very attuned to accessibility and reasonable accommodations in the last 15 years. Most polling places have procedures that allow one person to help another.

Pundits are speculating about voter turnout out. Let's help set a record. We can. We should. The United States of America needs it. And who knows, you might make or strengthen a friendship.

I'm back.

Aloha,
Common Grounder

No comments:

Post a Comment